Jaldapara Wild Life Sanctuary situated at the foothills of Eastern Himalayas in Alipurduar Sub-Division of Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal was constituted in the year of 1943 for the protection of wild life, particularly single horned Rhinos. River Torsha runs through this riverain forest sanctuary which is mostly covered with tall grasses. The wild life, in addition to the famous single horned rhinos, consists of Royal Bengal Tigers, wild elephants, deer, swamp deer, hog deer, wild pigs, bison and a number of birds, pea-fowl etc. Jaldapara is a paradise for bird watchers. It is one of the very few places in India, where the Bengal Florican was sighted. Set out with a binocular and see the majestic flight of hornbill, racket-tailed drongo and paradise flycatcher. See the splendors of sun set beyond the vast grassland of Jaldapara from you Bungalow deck.
A thrilling elephant safari is organized in the early morning from Hollong to offer the exquisite beauty of the vast grassland of Jaldapara. The elephant ride is the best possible way to explore the sanctuary with the rare sight of Indian rhinos and Asiatic elephants. The jeep safari inside the sanctuary is another attraction.
Important places around Jaldapara:
1. Totopara: 30 km from Jaldapara, a small village on the banks of River Torsha bordering Bhutan is the only habitation of Toto, a primitive tribe in Dooars. Their number has dwindled to less than 1000. The aboriginal lifestyle of the Totos attracts a large number of tourists from many parts of the world.
2. Chilapata: Hidden deep inside the Chilapata Forests the ruins of a thousand yeas old fort of Nal King has a tremendous historical and archeological importance. On way to Cooch Behar, a trip through the deep and dark Chilapata Forest (20 km from Alipurduar) is a pleasant and exciting experience. Built in the 5th century during the Gupta Empire the ruins still recall the memories of the Golden Age of India.
3. Gorumara National Park: 80km
4. Phuentsholling - Bhutan: 32km
5. Buxa Tiger Reserve: 56km sanctuary is another main attraction.